James J Morton was my grandmother, Olivia Joyce Jenkins' grandfather. I know very little about him, but here is what I do know. James J Morton was born about 1862 in Alabama. This information is based on the 1910 & 1920 census which I will give more detail later. He married Flora Idela Beason on 23 December 1890 in Comanche County, Texas. Thanks to a very generous distant cousin, Carole, I now have the original marriage certificate for this. I have no death date or place for him.
James and Flora had the following children:
- H. G/Q? Morton born about 1893 in Texas. I only find this child once with the family in the 1910 census and nothing more.
- Leota Morton born 4 Sept 1894 in Oklahoma. She married John Hugh Jenkins and they are the parents of my grandmother Olivia Joyce Jenkins. She died 1974 in Modesto, CA. Leota was in the 1910 and 1920 census with her parents. I obtained her birth and death from her Soc Sec record.
- Conrad Morton was born 14 Jun 1902 in Arkansas, married Bessie, they had three children I've found Raymond, Dorris and J.B. and he died Aug 1985 in Maysville, Garvin Co., OK. Again his information is from the 1910, 1920 & 1930 census as well as Soc Sec record.
- Eric Morton was born 14 Jul 1904 in Arkansas and died Jan 1978 Maysville, Garvin Co., OK. Again records are from 1910, 1920 and 1930 census records. Note in 1930 Eric was living in the home of his brother Conrad and his family.
- Octavous Morton was born 14 Nov 1906 in Arkansas and died Jan 1977 in Maysville, Garvin Co., OK. Records are from 1910 and 1920 census and Soc Sec records.
- Comanche County, Texas marriage certificate for J J Morton and F I Beason issued on the 19th December 1890 and married on the 23rd.
- 1910 census Henderson Twnp, Hot Spring Co., Arkansas. James was born in Alabama as well as both of his parents. His profession is a Teamster Log Hauler. Flora was born in AL and mother in SC and father in GA. They have been married for 19 years. At this time Flora has given birth to eight children, but only five are living (the five listed above).
- 1920 Census Whitehead Twnp, Garvin Co., OK. Here James is 58 and a farmer and everything else is the same as before. Flora's information is pretty much the same as well.
- 1930 Census in the same location as 1920 however I can't find Flora and James. I believe that Flora passed away in 1921. I have yet to prove that but that date is based on family. James however I do not know when he passed way, but may very well be gone by 1930. The 1930 census I found is of Conrad and his family with his both Eric living with them.
- Social Security Death Index Records for Leota, Conrad, Eric and Octavous
At this point I think it would be very beneficial for me to obtain a death record for James J Morton who most likely passed away between 1920 - 1930 in Maysville, Garvin Co., OK. Now there lies a challenge, but I'm sure I will find someone who can help me obtain that record at some point.